Largo, Florida – March 6, 2018 – On Thursday, February 22, 2018, Dr. Murty Yalla, IEEE Fellow and President of Beckwith Electric, received the IEEE Florida West Coast Section’s Engineer of the Year Award. He was honored at the annual Engineers Week Banquet held at TPepin’s Hospitality Centre in Tampa, Florida, with many other engineering societies including the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and the Society of American Military Engineers (SAME).
This premier event is part of National Engineers Week, held each year during the third week of February to celebrate how engineers make a difference in our world. The banquet brought together local leaders and engineering professionals to recognize and celebrate outstanding engineering achievements by members of the attending engineering societies.
Dr. Murty has been an impact player in the power electrical engineering field for decades. He has been with Beckwith Electric since 1989, and presently holds the position of President.
His accomplishments and industry leadership include:
- Holds five U.S. patents in digital controls and protective relays
- Chair of the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC, Geneva, Switzerland) Technical Committee 95, Measuring Relays and Protection Equipment.
- Received the IEC 1906 Award which honors IEC experts worldwide
- Deputy Technical Advisor to the United States National Committee of the IEC, and convener of IEC TC 95 MT4
- Past U.S. delegate to the International Council on Large Electric Systems (CIGRÈ, Paris, France) for working groups on protecting and monitoring generating plants and power transformers
- Past member of the North American Electric Reliability Corporation System Protection and Control Subcommittee
- IEEE Fellow for contributions in computer relays for power systems
- Main Committee Member of the IEEE Power System Relaying Committee
- Chair Emeritus of the Rotating Machinery Protection Subcommittee
- Working Group Chair of IEEE Standard C37.102-2006 “Guide for AC Generator Protection”
- IEEE PES Tutorial co-author “Protection of Synchronous Generators”
- IEEE PES Tutorial co-author “Distribution Volt-VAR Control and Optimization”
- Received the 2004 IEEE PES Working Group Outstanding Technical Report Award
Starting his power electrical journey as a University Professor, Dr. Murty continues to share his knowledge with Associates at Beckwith Electric and the Industry at large. Congratulations to Dr. Murty.
About Beckwith Electric
Founded in 1967, Beckwith Electric introduced the first solid state tapchanger control in 1968, and was the first to develop the microprocessor protective relay in 1981. Today, Beckwith Electric has thousands of protection and control units in service worldwide, with a reputation for cutting-edge technology, defined by its customers and refined by Beckwith. This success starts with Beckwith Electric Employees and their commitment to quality in the products, all 100% designed and manufactured in Largo, Florida, U.S.A.
Beckwith’s field-proven smart distribution automation controls for transformers, regulators and capacitor banks incorporate unique control strategies, advanced microprocessor architecture and cyber security compliant communications. Power systems protection solutions include generator, transformer, feeder, recloser and distributed generation applications. Specialized synchronizing and motor bus transfer systems are also offered.
Beckwith Electric’s customers include power utilities, heavy industrial and large institutional markets, and their consultants.
Visit Beckwith Electric online at www.beckwithelectric.com, follow on Twitter at Twitter.com/beckwithcompany or connect on Facebook at Facebook.com/BeckwithElectric.
For more information, contact:
Beckwith Electric Communications